Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Weeds on tarmac

In message , Eddy Young
writes
In article , Andy Hall says...

I have seen some people nearby having Paddy O'Tarmac jobs which have
consisted of the tarmac layer being removed and new stuff laid on the
concrete below. After a few months potholes and weeds, so goodness
knows what they did.

This is exactly what was done to my driveway. The crumbling top layer
tarmac was
removed, weeds cleared (but no weedkiller sprayed, pumped in, or whatever), and
new tarmac spread, rolled on and compacted. The cowboys assured me the existing
sub-base would hold, but failed to add that weeds would keep growing through.

Strikes me that if the sub base is still sound (no cracks etc.) and if
it properly cleared and prepared then it ought to be possible just to
re-tarmac over it, but that is a couple of big ifs.

A good place for advice on this and other paving aspects is:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

Run by Cormaic, who used to a be uk.d-i-y regular. Much as I dislike
web forums in general, the ones there are a good place for specific
paving etc. advice.
--
Chris French