Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default GFI outlet

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:13:17 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

The finished parts of the basement don't require GFCI protection. The non
GFCI protected outlet for the washer is supposed to be a single, and for the
washer only. The idea is that the more readily accessible outlets are GFCI
protected. Personally I would never be standing in water and plugging
something in to any kind of outlet regardless of its protection

I won't be again.

There has actually been another flood, and I didn't touch anything
where the floor or it was wet.

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:39:38 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

In unfinished parts of basements or garages, readily accessible outlets
are
required to be GFCI protected.

Thanks. I don't think I meet that standard. I will check as soon as
I can.

What if half the basement is finished, meaning drywall, and the other
half isn't? Do I have to GFCI the outlets on the drywalled part?

Outlets on ceilings or outlets installed
behind and dedicated for specific, not easily moved appliances, like
washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc. do not need GFCI protection

It may be dedicated to my washer, but it's not behind, and it didnt
stop me from plugging a remote dialer into the other half. Later I
wanted to unplug the washer to plug in a wet-dry vac, to vacuum up the
water on the floor, that I was standing in. I only touched the cord
an inch behind the plug, to unplug the washer, but I think the maybe
wet dust conducted enough current to give me a small buzz and a scare.