Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Solar Flaire Solar Flaire is offline

Default Simultaneous solar hot water and air collection

Well, everybody has had their chance to twist the words to suit their
fancy and defend against their imagined enemies. Let's go back to the
OP's statement.

"After 300 years of simple heatflow physics, most people still doubt
that a house can be close to 100% solar heated outside of the
Southwest,
inexpensively."

Now he did state "close to 100%". This has been proven to be true for
decades, depending how you define "close to". If he stated 50%, I
would agree it is false. I read "close to" as more like 98-99.9%.

Not happenning and it hasn't yet. We are talking sufficient heat
storage for upwards to a month with temps down to -10c with no sun
last December and January in the location I have my solar toys. The
other word he stated is "inexpensively".

Not happenning and it hasn't yet.

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Anthony Matonak wrote:

Solar Flaire wrote:
Many projects of this style have been attempted over the years all
with failure as a result.

Right. Then you go on to talk about projects that have no
relationship at
all to what we're talking about.

Many times "green" homes are over-hyped and under-designed.
This doesn't mean that solar heating doesn't work but rather
that there are a lot of dishonest salesmen and poor home
"Designers" out there in the world and the give the rest a
bad name.

Even today PV is totally impractical where grid power is
available. In
Canada, my system cost me under $20K and I got most at a discount.
will break even, at today's rate, in 70-80 years. verdict? A fun
toy.
This is not "inexpensively". Logically it is a waste of money.

Today PV is practical where grid power is not available.

As in my home.

However, the subject was homes that could be heated almost entirely
with
solar. Slab-on-grade building, with passive solar heating, and
in-slab
heat storage costs _no_ more than standard building techniques, and
can net
you 50-70% of your heating (that's typical of the homes built by my
friend). Super-insulation can increase that significantly
(admittedly for
some small cost - but still "inexpensive" when designed into the
home in
the first place.
--
derek