Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Split Neutral Wiring

I don't do it anymore, cause I really don't like the feeling when I do get
shocked. BUT , when I was 13, my parents built on to the house. The
electrician was a man my dad worked with. I personally landed some 40-45
duplex outlets and a dozen or more switches all with the power on. Like was
said, stand on wood, touch one wire at a time and no problem. AND like I
also said, I don't do it anymore.

There was another electrician where my dad worked (a large steel fab plant)
who would probe voltages with one hand up to 440v. It all depends on the
individual's personal resistance .

There was a hired hand on the farm he grew up on who would shut down the 4
cylinder tractor by putting his arm across all 4 bare spark plug terminals.

--
Steve Barker

"deke" wrote in message

I regularly install new switches and receptacles with the power on.
I touch the black (hot) and white (neutral) wire regularly with the
power on, just not at the same time. It is much faster and you
don't have to reset any clocks.

If you are slightly cautious, there is absolutely no way you are
going to get hurt.