Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Mark_Ransley@Yahoo.com is offline

Default Opening in cold air return

On Apr 15, 5:23 pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will
I gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Is your basement heated by forced air? If not, I'd close that rascal.

It depends on alot of things, I leave mine open in winter to get it a
bit warmer and keep the air circulating and in summer close it for AC
to pull the most from the second floor return. It depends on duct
sizing, moisture issues, if you heat the basement or not..