Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Split Neutral Wiring

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:09:24 -0500, deke wrote:

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 02:40:31 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , deke wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:33:12 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

The question is, what the hell is wrong with *you*, continuing to insist that
the neutral has no potential for danger? That just isn't true. It's NOT the
same as ground, despite your persistent misunderstanding of that fact.

I'm sorry Doug, but my neutrals are tied to ground in the breaker
box. Same was true of the last 2 houses I owned.

The service entrance is the *only* place where they *are* the same.

In branch circuits, the ground conductor does *not* carry current in normal
operation. It carries current only if there has been a failure somewhe
either the hot or the neutral has faulted to ground somehow.

By contrast, the neutral *is* a current-carrying conductor under normal
operation. And that's why you can't presume that it's safe to touch.

I regularly install new switches and receptacles with the power on.
I touch the black (hot) and white (neutral) wire regularly with the
power on, just not at the same time. It is much faster and you
don't have to reset any clocks.

If you are slightly cautious, there is absolutely no way you are
going to get hurt.

Very famous words.

Last words.