Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Mound Septic System Cost

On Apr 15, 9:05 am, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
...But just for info, most of the liquid evaporates upward rather than
soaks down vertically.

I don't believe that is true from every report on septic drain field
operation I've ever seen. You have a reference indicating
differently? (If it were so, the importance of perc tests would be
almost eliminated it seems.)

http://www.sera17.ext.vt.edu/Documen...rain_field.pdf

is pretty typical discussion of what I see/read at all extension or
public health sites on requirements for drain/leach fields.

To OP, I have seen some recent claims that adding aeration to anerobic
septic fields has the possibility of improving operation of existing
drain fields which have become saturated but other than vendor claims
I've seen nothing actually done/published (but then again, I've not
really looked that hard, either). At least one of these vendors
promises money back if their system doesn't work so if they're
legitimate business-wise, guess one could always look into whether it
would do its magic for you. But as the link mentions, about the worst
type of soil there is for long-term drain fields is heavy clay.

If it were me, I'd talk to local county/municipal health, whoever is
in charge. Typically they have pretty good handle on what the
situation is locally as it really is very dependent on local soils,
precipitation patterns, usage, etc., as to what is the underlying
problem and an appropriate solution. Some places even have cost-
sharing for such problems although often they'll be limited to long-
standing problems rather than new, but "you never know until you ask."