Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Mound Septic System Cost

On Apr 15, 8:34 am, "diablo" wrote:
I realize that there could be a lot of variables in what the cost would be
of having a mound septic system installed. But I'd like to ask for some
generalizations if I may to gain some information.

I have a three bedroom house on a 3/4 acre lot, the ground is flat and
filled with clay so the builder installed leach system doesn't work well due
to lack of the ability of the soil to absorb the water. The house is about
30 years old.

I'd like to ask those who have either installed or had installed a mound
system what I could expect an approximate cost to be? Also what could I do
to help reduce the costs? I'm capable of trenching, running PVC etc.

Also is there a better alternative than a mound system?

Thanks,
Brian

I'd guess you'd be talking $10,000 to $20,000 to build one from
scratch. You might be able to just add a lift-pump and put in a new
bad and keep the tank. That might help. You might also check into an
aerobic system and if you have another way to dispose of the effluent,
such as a road-side culvert (if allowed by law in your area).

If your county has a health department, check with them. They might
have a good idea of what is required and what it will cost.
Otherwise, you'll have to check with a site engineer.

If you can handle the semi-heavy equipment, you might be able to do it
yourself; but you have a lot of dirt to move and rock/sand to
distribute. It's not rocket science, but it's not a piece of cake,
either.

All states are different, but here in NY all septic systems are
required to have stamped plans.

Good luck with it.