Gunner

Default firearms - modern labor saving devices.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:36:03 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:19:40 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Not at all. It's the spirit of the society itself. If a need to carry
concealed handguns is considered a normal and acceptable part of

social
existence, then the society has an attitude problem. It lacks the

spirit
that the ancient Greeks identified so well as the necessary condition

for
civil society, particularly for a democratic one, to thrive.

I notice that the Greeks seemed to be rather heavily armed, while
keeping a rather tough military about them. They were also slave
holders of the first water.

Then you missed the important parts. Their military was not for

supressing
their own citizens. It was for conducting wars against other city-states.

You are right..the slaves were simply property.

So it was in nearly every society until the 17th century. Again, you missed
the important parts about Greek thought on civil society.

As to armaments..perhaps you may with to read this book. Its most
interesting and well documented

http://members.aol.com/protell/everyman.html

What's it about?

THAT EVERY MAN BE ARMED
The Evolution of a Constitutional Right
By Stephen P. Halbrook
Published by University of New Mexico Press, 1994

Oh, that. I read it in the first edition, back around 1988.

We call the first group "sheeple".
We call the second group "freemen"

I'm sure you do. In fact, you label people with any words you can find --

or
cook up -- that belittle them while making yourselves sound grand.

Ed Huntress

Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar.

That's what I mean. You need a better class of analogies. The one you're
using only sees people as tires and cigars.

Ed Huntress

And your exposure to that rarified atmosphere up there in your ivory
tower tends to make you more than a bit arrogant.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"