Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default My garden tap thread is not 3/4" BSP so what might it be?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:36:58 +0100, "Roger Mills"
mused:

Guy Dawson wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

Sorry about the blank message - hit the send button by accident!
Are you sure that your adapter is really 3/4" BSP? The acutal size
of BSP
threads is larger than the nominal size, as shown in
http://homepages.tesco.net/~A10bsa/bspgo.htm because the BSP size
refers to the nominal bore (inside diameter) of an iron pipe, so the
thread on the outside obviously has to be bigger than that.

Can you measure the thread diameter of your tap with a vernier
caliper and post the result here.

Most garden taps are 3/4" BSP (actual size 1.041")

Some are 1/2" BSP (actual size 0.825")

I'm now pretty sure the tap adapter is a 1/2" BSP in a 3/4" BSP
fixing and that the tap is not quite 1/2" BSP.

I think I'll be getting a new tap!

Guy

Could it be 5/8" BSP? You can get 5/8 to 3/4 adapters.

I'd still go for the new tap option FWIW.
--
Regards,
Stuart.