Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default GFI outlet

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:36:17 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Postal68 wrote:
I am OK with basic wiring(installing new outlets , switches, running a line
for a new outlet or light)

I am just not 100% sure about GFI outlets.

If I want to replace an existing outlet with a GFI outlet is it as easy as
buying a GFI outlet and switching them out?

If not what has to be done?
Should I get a licensed electrician to do these GFI outlets?

Thanks

Charlie

Assuming the existing outlets are wired correctly, it's just a matter of
swapping the GFI outlet for a conventional one.

If there is more than one outlet "chained" on the circuit, you're best
off putting the GFI one in the location closest to the panel, where it
will provided GFI protection at the ones down the line.

Jeff

Also, a GFCI cannot be wired so each receptacle is wired differently
(such as one half switched).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams