Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default Dowel stuck in collapsed chair

aspasia wrote:
On 18 Feb 2007 18:56:18 -0800, "Father Haskell"
wrote:

On Feb 18, 1:20 pm, Not-very-handy wrote:
Greetings, amigos y amigas

Well, we had a lively dinner party last week!
One of the chairs collapsed under a BIG guy.
Fortunately nobody hurt, and chair seems to be
repairable.

Now I need to know how to extract the broken-off
pieces of dowel from their holes, so I can repair
chair with new dowels.

Also, is "ordinary" wood glue sufficient to glue
in the replacement dowels, or do I need to
get something special.

Thanks for your help!

Not-very-handy

Beware that the three foot dowels sold at HD and Lowes are cut
on a shaper with a half-round cutter and will, without exception,
be undersized and elliptical in section and will not glue reliably.
Dowels made 20, 30 years ago would have been cut with a
rotary mill similar in function to a pencil sharpener, and would
have been dead round and within a few thou of specified diameter.
The bagged, 2" dowels with the spiral glue channels will be okay.

Thanks for the heads-up!

But the dowels on the broken chair are not 2"; more like 5/8.

What to do?

They're 2" in length, you can get them in various diameters.
--
Grandpa