Posted to misc.consumers.house
Himpg Himpg is offline

Default Automotive Fuel Economy

On Apr 14, 10:31 am, "Harry K" wrote:
On Apr 1, 6:51 am, wrote:

On Apr 1, 8:30 am, "Himpg" wrote:

40mpg.org WEEKLY UPDATE
TELL REP. MARKEY: MORE MPG ... AND FASTER!

March 22, 2007: We need your help to send a message to Massachusetts
Congressman Ed Markey today!

http://action.40mpg.org/campaign/MARKEY_MORE_MPG

Rep. Markey is calling for improved federal fuel-economy standards of
35 MPG by 2018.

http://markey.house.gov/index.php?op...sk=view&id=268...

We can do better! The technology exists today to achieve greater fuel
efficiency faster. If we don't move to adopt these technologies, the
American auto industry will fall further behind the German and
Japanese automakers who are rapidly adopting new technologies. People
outside the U.S. already have 161 highly fuel efficient cars to choose
from

http://www.40mpg.org/getinf/021407release.cfm

and these cars meet or exceed U.S. emission and safety standards.
Since Congressman Ed Markey is going to play a big role in what the
U.S. House decides on fuel-efficiency targets, 40MPG.org is urging you
to send the Congressman an email message today to exercise bold
leadership and upgrade his fuel-efficiency plan to get 44 MPG by
2010.

http://action.40mpg.org/campaign/MARKEY_MORE_MPG

Or, you can call Rep. Markey's office directly at 202-225-2836 ...
[ask him for "44 MPG by 2010"]
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT 40MPG.ORG
To learn more about 40mpg.org, go tohttp://www.40mpg.org
Also you might call and use the key words "44 MPG by 2010!":
Rep. John Dingell's office directly at 202-225-4071
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office directly at 202-225-4965
Speaker of the Senate Harry Reid's office directly at
202-224-3542
If this seem like the correct thing to do please share it with your
friends.

Forget about the US auto industry. Ain't it a curious thing, that
with these readily available foreign built high mileage wonder cars
and a US population that supposidly wants to buy lots of them, that no
one chooses to sell them here? The profit potential should be
endless and they could take market share away from Detroit, so why do
we need a law to force them on consumers? Sounds like the reality is
not quite what it appears to be.- Hide quoted text -

The reality is that the majority of US buyers is not going to buy a
car that gets high mileage if it comes in a small, underpowered (by US
standards) car. Sure surveys show that everybody wants a high mileage
car. I, however, know that that survey would show as thumbs down if
it were to contain a realistic description of the type of car it takes
to get 50-60 mpg.
Yes, they are perfectly adequate but big and comfortable over long
distances they ain't. US buyers want to be pampered. Those cars
would also be lacking a lot of features to save on weight that US
buyers now demand as standard equipment.

I tried the link to see what is in there but it doesn't work.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Well, would a Cadillac BLs with a 38 mpg(US) combined average be about
the right size for yot needs?

How about FORD's Focus or Fusion at about 50 mpg combined average?
From your comments I don't think you would like the Fiesta (Ford).

Of course there are 32 variations of the MERCEDES-BENZ A Class with
combined averages between 43 and 48 mpg(US).

Anyway, I am certainly NOT suggesting that everyone (or anyone for
that matter) should be required to buy high mpg vehicles ... any more
than OUR choices should limited to vans, SUVs, pickups, Hummers, or
fire trucks to the exclusion of high mpg machines.

I am suggesting that it would be nice to be able to buy the
technologies that WE paid for as US TAXPERS ... but are only available
every where else in the world EXCEPT the USA.