Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default GFI outlet

It's so easy, even I can do it. GFCI protection is only required at certain
locations, like bathroom, garages, outside, and a few others. Some things
you wouldn't want GFCI protected like outlets for freezers, or
refrigerators. Assuming you only want GFCI protection at the location of
this outlet replacement, remove the existing outlet, note brass screws on
one side of the outlet and silver screws on the other. The brass screws
should have the hot wires on them and the silver should have the white. If
there are only two wires plus ground on the receptacle, install the white on
the
silver" line" terminal, and the black on the brass "line" terminal and
ground on the green ground terminal. If there is more than one wire on
either side of the existing receptacle, splice them together with a pigtail
wires to the GFCI outlet

"Postal68" wrote in message
I am OK with basic wiring(installing new outlets , switches, running a line
for a new outlet or light)

I am just not 100% sure about GFI outlets.

If I want to replace an existing outlet with a GFI outlet is it as easy as
buying a GFI outlet and switching them out?

If not what has to be done?
Should I get a licensed electrician to do these GFI outlets?

Thanks

Charlie