Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric9822 Eric9822 is offline

Default GFI outlet

On Apr 14, 4:48 pm, "Postal68" wrote:
I am OK with basic wiring(installing new outlets , switches, running a line
for a new outlet or light)

I am just not 100% sure about GFI outlets.

If I want to replace an existing outlet with a GFI outlet is it as easy as
buying a GFI outlet and switching them out?

If not what has to be done?
Should I get a licensed electrician to do these GFI outlets?

Thanks

Charlie

GFCI's are fairly simple to install assuming you know how to wire
standard receptacles. The watchout is that the supply wiring needs to
be installed on the "Line" terminals and the wiring to the downstream
outlets need to landed on the "Load" terminals. If they are crossed,
and a ground fault occurs in a device plugged into the GFCI, the power
will not be interrupted. Recently GFCI's have been required to deny
power to an outlet if it is miswired but I am sure there are some
older ones still floating around for sale. The really important part
is testing GFCI's after installation, most people don't.