Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default Split Neutral Wiring

In article . com,
(Ben) says...
Are shared neutrals avoided where possible?

Shared neutrals are handy where you need a lot of power in a small area,
like a kitchen. However, they are rarely used nowadays, because a
shared neutral will trip a GFI every time. I have one split neutral
circuit in my shop to a triple gang box. I split the receptacles from
top to bottom, so half of each receptacle is on a different circuit.
It's a simple way to get 40 amps of 120 volts to one location with one
run.

An electrician is about to rewire just about my entire house. Should I
request no shared neutrals or is this a silly request?

Most electricians won't use them unless you ask for them.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.