Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price Bennett Price is offline

Default Relocating a light switch along same wall as current location

Is it worth agonizing over until you firm up the price? $2000, after
all, is your own exaggerated estimate.

wrote:
I just had an electrician over. I realize that he is an electrician
and I am a no-nothing, so I assume that what he told me was accurate,
but still.... I have a light switch in a central location on the
wall. I want to move that switch further over about a foot closer to
the edge of the wall. He told me that he would have to cut out the
drywall between the two points (possibly more depending on wire pipe
locations), and then we would have to get the drywall repaired and
repainted. Suddenly, moving a light switch turns into a $2,000
project (my exaggerated estimate, not his). How come the wires that
are currently in the wiring pipe up to the switch cannot just be
extended horizontally from point A to point B where the new switch
would be? Then, he would just cap the old hole with a cover and cut
out a single square for the new switch. I understand that I do not
know NEC codes (or anything about electricity for that matter), but is
there no easier way to move a light switch one foot?

Thanks,
Zack