Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default Split Neutral Wiring

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:33:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Wade Lippman" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

That is not really a concern; you can't get a shock off a neutral unless
it
is unconnected at the breaker box

FALSE!

The neutral is a current-carrying conductor under normal operation.
Contrary
to common belief, electricity does not follow "the path of least
resistance."
Rather, electricity follows all possible paths, and when you touch the
neutral, you create with your body a second, parallel path to ground for
the
current flowing in the neutral. Granted, that's probably (though not
necessarily) a fairly high-resistance path, which makes it *unlikely* that
you
will be shocked.

But definitely *not* impossible.

Your statement is false twice, actually: suppose the neutral is connected
just
fine *at* the breaker box, but is disconnected somewhere between there,
and
where you're working. In that case, you're putting yourself in *series*
with
the neutral current, not in parallel with it, and that makes a shock from
touching it *likely* (if the circuit is energized).

Gee Doug, with all the millions of dryers and ovens that have the chassis
attached to the neutrals and are touched daily by wet hands, how many shocks
do you think people get?
What the hell is wrong with you?

The question is, what the hell is wrong with *you*, continuing to insist that
the neutral has no potential for danger? That just isn't true. It's NOT the
same as ground, despite your persistent misunderstanding of that fact.

I'm sorry Doug, but my neutrals are tied to ground in the breaker
box. Same was true of the last 2 houses I owned.