Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Nélio Abreu Nélio Abreu is offline

Default Creative 6.1 DTT2200 Speaker System faulty

Not yet....first I have to bought the freeze spray

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 12, 6:44 am, "Nélio Abreu" wrote:
I have rebuild all soldering in the AMPOP's, the large ones with a
heatsink,
but the problem remains. I have also rebuild all soldering in the
conectors
but with no result.

"DaveM" wrote in message

. ..

"Nélio Abreu" wrote in message
. ..
If it was a broken cable, lose connection or durty contacts, it didn't
cause the sound to decrease or increase it's volume, which it's what it
happens. In case of a broken cable or durty connector, there would be
interruption of the sound and possibly scratchs sounds. What happens is
this...

Imagine that your are listening to music, let's say with the volume at
1/2 level....
Sudenly, I turn the volume knob fast to 1/4 of the level down, leave it
there for, let's say 1 second and then turn it to 3/4 of level fast.

This is what it's happening but with no one touching the knob or
cables.

"DaveM" wrote in message
m...
"Nélio Abreu" wrote in message
. ..
This happens without touching the unit. I just turn it on, set the
volume to 1/2 level or eaven to 1/4 level, initialy it plays
Ok....but
after a short while, the sound goes down, like if I had turn the
volume
to minimum, it stays low for a few seconds and then comes up,
sometimes
to the original level, and sometimes to maximum (almost). When it
starts doing this, it continues to do without stoping. I don't need
touch it to happen....it simply happens. If it are the capacitors,
which ones ones should be causing this?

wrote in message
legroups.com...
On Apr 11, 11:46 am, Nélio Abreu wrote:
Nélio R. C. Abreu
Portugal

Hi there,

I have a Creative DTT2200 6.1 Sound system that I have bought a few
years ago. It have worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now during
playback, the sound goes up and down sudenly without touching the
volume knob. I have checked the main board and power supply,
thinking
the problem could be located in one of the many electrolitic
capacitors that might have been damage (for example liking fluid out
or with the top expanded) but no capacitor is damaged. Does any one
have a clue what the problem is?

Please post reply in this news or send me email to the above adress.

Thanks a lot.

Capacitors can fail without visible damage. But this "sounds" more
like an intermittent and/or aground problem. Try cleaning the
controls
and looking hard at any interconnects. You also may have a
cold-solder
somewhere. Can you make it happen by tapping the unit from various
angles, or shaking it, or tapping the controls or connections?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

You're assuming that the speaker unit is bad. It might not be. Check
the audio cable that connects to your sound card. Might have a broken
connection in the speaker unit or in the plug on the end of the cable.
Check the connection at the output jack on the sound card. Might just
be a loose or dirty connection. Or it might have inadvertently been
pulled loose.

Oh, yes.. I've seen it happen all too often. Broken or loose
connections in wiring and broken solder connections very definitely can
cause your symptoms.
Inside the speaker enclosure, vibrations are set up by the sound
emanating
from the speakers. This vibration can cause the shaky connection to
make
or break, sometimes with a higher than normal resistance, which can
cause
exactly what you're experiencing.
Mind you, I'm not saying that is your problem... just saying that you
shouldn't dismiss the idea until you eliminate that as the cause.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster
it
goes.- Hide quoted text -

With respect, getting out the clue-stick:

a) have you done the tap-wiggle test?
b) have you done the freeze-spray test?

Please let us know and with detail what you found.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA