Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default My garden tap thread is not 3/4" BSP so what might it be?

Roger Mills wrote:

Guy Dawson wrote:

There's a garden tap at our new house in the garden!

I've tried to attach our Hozelock 3/4" BSP adapter but
it does not fit. The tap thread seems to be very slightly bigger.

The only markings on the tap's brass body is what looks like a
BS kite mark and the text 'No2'.

Any thoughts as to what size it might be and if I can get an adapter
for my Hozelock? The Hozelock will also attach to 1" BSP so a
'whatever my tap to 1" BSP' adapter would be ideal.

TIA

Guy

Sorry about the blank message - hit the send button by accident!

Are you sure that your adapter is really 3/4" BSP? The acutal size of BSP
threads is larger than the nominal size, as shown in
http://homepages.tesco.net/~A10bsa/bspgo.htm because the BSP size refers to
the nominal bore (inside diameter) of an iron pipe, so the thread on the
outside obviously has to be bigger than that.

Can you measure the thread diameter of your tap with a vernier caliper and
post the result here.

Most garden taps are 3/4" BSP (actual size 1.041")

Some are 1/2" BSP (actual size 0.825")

I've even seen some which are 5/8" BSP (actual size 0.902")
--
Cheers,
Roger