Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Paint stripping

In article ,
writes
Hello,

Our garage fascia is old and peeling, so I want to strip the paint
back to the wood and start again. What is the best way to do this? Is
it by sanding, heating, or with chemical like nitromors?

If you really want to go back to the wood I would use a hot air gun and
scraper to remove the bulk then use paint stripper and wire wool to remove
the residue. This may be a bit over the top for outdoor wood but it is what I
use for a good finish indoors and it has served me well. I use Nitromors
Master Craftsmans' paint stripper[*] which is pure liquid without thickening
goop, paint on, wait 5 mins then clear with wire wool further wetted in
stripper. Remove final residue/neutralize with wire wool & white spirit.

Use disposable gloves in layers to protect your hands from the stripper, I
use nitrile first then polythene overs.

I find sanding clogs the paper too quickly and I have too much lead based
stuff around for that to be a good idea.
[*] around 25quid/5l from B&Q on my last purchase.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla