Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Drill Doctor & society was Rotozip: goodgawd...

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"Proctologically Violated©®"
writes:

Also, there's the time aspect. If I dull or damage a drill, it takes
far less time to resharpen it in an in-house DD than it does to drive to
the nearest store where I can buy a new drill. That's worth something.

I'll bet I can sharpen a drill by hand far more quickly than you can find,
plug in, set up yer DD.

Maybe you can. But I can find and "set up" (i.e. place it on a table
somewhere) my DD in less time than I can get my bench grinder set up
and ready to use. Right now, the grinder is sitting behind a
mini-lathe.

Dude, you have an inaccessible bench grinder? A fellow with a mini lathe?
A more accessible DD??
You gotta get yer priorities straight!

And bleeve me, ahm no 'spert.
Mebbe not perfectly symmetrically, but more than adequately.
It takes very little change in drill geometry to make it dull. Therefore,
it often takes but a touch to make is sharp again.
Not to mention being able to put different angles/tips on the drill, as
req'd.

Because the DD uses a chuck to hold the drill and cams to control its
motion, it seems pretty good at getting both cutting edges the same
length and the same angle. It seems less good at getting the same
cutting geometry on all sizes of drills - the smallest sizes go a bit
weird. This is with the 350X, the cheapest current model, which uses a
chuck that's effectively a pair of V-blocks and has built-in fingers on
the jaws to set the rotational position of the drill. The more
expensive models use 6-jaw chucks to hold the drill and an entirely
different alignment method, so they may work better.

The point is, The Hustle.
AND, the ultimate disservice done when *education* is denied, in favor of,
well, The Hustle.

Selling stuff to people who are too lazy to learn a technique that
requires more skill is a time-honoured way to make money. I don't have
a problem with that if the machine actually works. The DD does work
well enough that I think it's useful.

Time honored indeed.
I don't deny the DD does "work", but that is the minor point here. At least
my minor point.
And indeed, keeping the Great American Pubic dumb, and ergo in substantial
negative cash flow, keeps the economy booming.
That and inflated real estate values.
An educated consumer, whilst perhaps Sy Simms' best customer, is overall an
economic disaster.
Stupid and spending, jack, stupid and spending.

Not calling you stupid, btw--it seems the DD fills your particular niche, as
most hustles will a niche.
The hustle is, however, over-hyping/generalizing said niche.
Bleeve me, iffin *I* can sharpen drills quickly, *anyone* can.

What you might find useful is Sears' Utility Sharpener, which is a wide
faced (about 2") slow revolving wet stone, which is less aggressive in its
cutting, might make drill sharpening easier, more reliable.
Except for snapped drills, a bench grinder is good just to get the general
shape.

Now, maybe I'm just too lazy to spend the time needed to become
reasonably competent at sharpening a drill. But I do have a bench
grinder, and I do have the tools needed to true the wheel, so I'll
believe that I could do it eventually. Lots of people don't even own a
bench grinder, or they do but the wheels are far from having a flat
cutting face. They are considerably further from being able to do their
own freehand drill sharpening.

The above Sears. Good for knives, as well, which I think was its intended
purpose.

You mean that the infomercials are a hustle. Don't watch them. Feel
better now? Actually just turn off the TV entirely, you'll feel better
yet.

You actually have a good point here.
I feel like a heroin addict shooting up *very* bad heroin.

I'm pretty unimpressed with TV these days. I've probably watched less
than 5 hours of TV in the past year.

You are my hero and role model.
Or, you are very, very old.
Nuthin wrong with that, either.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Dave