Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] stevens.shannon@gmail.com is offline

Default How difficult to instal a lawn watering system?

On Apr 13, 10:02 am, wrote:
Also, the pros generally don't do trenches, which make a big mess.
They use a machine to pull
flexible pipe. You can probably rent one of those as well.

However, I'm not sure I'd do this myself. Like everything, there is
a learning process and experience
counts. With a good sprinkler company, you may come out with a more
effective system, because
they know what works well for a particular situateion.

Not only that, but they can be damn twitchy if you haven't been
working around the sprinkler systems most of your life. I grew up in a
rainy climate where we NEVER watered the lawn (I agree with the "let
it grow or not grow" attitude)... now I live in the desert. I've read
tons of books on the systems, hung out at the landscaping store to
discuss and learn, and still I can never get the SOBs to work right.
My friends with landscapers have no issues like that. And for the
record, I am a very successful DIYer 98 percent of the time.

Also, JimR makes an excellent point about your well. Unless you live
in a place with nearly unlimited supplies, you should read up on how
much water that will drain from your well. Bet mowing the grass won't
be so much fun if you have no water to drink when you're done.

I'm so sick of sprinklers that I just applied for the water company's
rebate to convert to desert landscaping. Can't wait to get rid of that
damn thing.

--svs