Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Nail-Gun Injuries Among Consumers Rise With Sales, U.S. Says

GROVER wrote:
On Apr 12, 6:19 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"WoodButcher" wrote in message
What a thoroughly useless and typical report from the alarmist
press.

Consumer injuries tripled, but no quantification on how much sales
had increased. The rate of injury is what is key here. If sales
more than tripled, then the injury rate decreased - ergo no
problem. But that doesn't provide a juicy story and advance the
career of the reporter.

Another facet ignored is the higher injury rate for new users than
for experienced users. I'd venture to guess that the percentage of
new users is much higher for consumers than for professionals.

Critical thinking is a sorely missing skill in today's news
organizations.

On the plus side at least there was no call for increased or new
government regulation of this serious threat to society.

Agreed, but still trying to figure out what's newsworthy about
injuries rising with sales in the first place.

What _would_ be newsworthy is if they didn't.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07- Hide quoted text -

Swingman,
You are right, there's not much newsworthy about dog bites man, but
let a man bite a dog.

Which is surprisingly common these days. I remembered a news item about
such an incident and googled "man bites police dog" and found more
articles than I cared to link, not all describing the same incident--the
first two mention a guy in Kansas City and one in Canada.

Survival 101--never bite anything that has more teeth than you do unless
it's dead.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)