Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.radio.satellite,sci.engr.electrical.compliance

Default GFCI breakers for Al wiring

On 14 Apr, 07:30, "Kristen Caldwell"
wrote:
On Apr 13, 8:00 am, "Mark" wrote:
"Kristen Caldwell" who doesn't know **** about wiring wrote in message

roups.com...
On Apr 12, 8:23 am, "
wrote:

After searching high and low I'm coming to the conclusion that an
Aluminum compatible GFCI outlet does not exist.

So I want to install GFCI breakers on the associated circuits as an
alternative to fishing new wire.

GFCIs protect against L-E shocks and shorts, which have nothing to do
with the risk that ali wiring posts. Al oxidises at joints, heats up &
catches fire. A gfci doesnt make the remotest difference to that. An
AFCI however would.

How do I know if a GFCI breaker can be used on a circuit that is wired
aluminum?

I'm not that familiar with US practices, but I dont expect many modern
electrical parts will have al compatible connections.

GFCI breakers will still protect you if you stick a fork in a toaster
even with aluminum wire.

You should never connect a copper only rated device to aluminum wire because
it creates a serious fire hazzard.

yup. If you need to put an AFCI in each circuit, the AFCI can have a
copper tail leading to a purpose designed cu to al connector. Follow
the proper procedure in the instructions, al behaves differently to
cu.

AFCIs arent perfect, but they do reduce risk quite a lot.

NT