Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Split Neutral Wiring

Doug I hope you have all these responses canned in word or something. Seems
we just had this thread about a month ago. G

--
Steve Barker

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article ,

(Chris Lewis) wrote:

If the neutral isn't broken between you and the panel, the _maximum_
ground-neutral voltage you'll see in the OP's scenario is a volt or two.

That depends entirely on how well you are (or aren't) grounded. Under
normal
circumstances, there won't be enough current to do any damage. One
sweaty hand
on a grounded junction box, and the other sweaty hand touching an active
neutral, though...

and you might have 5% as much conductivity as the neutral and see 6v.

Pardon me if I don't simply take your word for it. Got any calculations to
back that up?

I didn't think so...

Not likely but possible.
Harmless, but possible. Stupid, but possible. Doug, but absurd. Oh,
that
is redundant.

How much does it take to kill, Wade?

Hint: the trip threshold on a GFCI is 20 mA.

When are you going to figure out that neutral and ground are NOT the same?

--
Regards,