Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default How difficult to instal a lawn watering system?

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have one area of around 100' x 100' that I'd like to start watering
automatically. How hard is it to put n those little popup mist
sprayers? Or is it a pro job? Do those things have pumps or work off
regular pressure? (BTW I have a well system, if that makes a
difference).

A couple of considerations that no one else has mentioned --

Be concerned that an irrigation system may demand more water over an
extended time than your present well can deliver. (That's true for many
wells in Florida). You may need a separate well with a liner to keep it
from collapsing during irrigation, and a separate pump for the irrigation
system.

Plan on more than one zone to give you flexibility. Some areas may need
more water than others, and you may want to set up a zone for a garden or
micro-irrigation system in the future. You will need a controller for the
system, with either a digital programmer or a mechanical timer and indexer.
Strongly recommend a digital system which lets you set each zone easily and
with flexibility. A mechanical indexer just senses a drop in water pressure
and then moves to the next zone -- it's easy to get the zones mis-set when
you're doing repairs or system checks (e.g., it starts up on zone 2 instead
of zone 1)

With a digital controller, recommend that you bring all of the zones to a
common manifold where all of the servos are located. With my last system,
the installer buried the servos in the ground at the beginning of each zone
and didn't leave a map, so locating a failed servo is going to be very
difficult.

Add a rain sensor to your system so that it doesn't run unnecessarily during
or after a rainstorm.

-- Regards