Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default How difficult to instal a lawn watering system?

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have one area of around 100' x 100' that I'd like to start watering
automatically. How hard is it to put n those little popup mist
sprayers? Or is it a pro job? Do those things have pumps or work off
regular pressure? (BTW I have a well system, if that makes a
difference).

Why trench? Pull poly pipe with a trenchless vibratory plow. Trenching
causes problems with settling and makes extra work to fill the trenches. I
installed a sprinkler system on a 120x140 lot last year, (using the plow)
and that project taxed the limits of my DIY ability. It also took about 3
weeks to git 'er done.

Correctly designing a sprinkler system that works properly takes a TON of
research and even more hard work. It can be done, but it takes planning.
You have to figure out water pressures, pipe sizes, flow rates and all kinds
of other fun stuff. One of the online design services is a good place to
start. Rainbird has an irrigation 'bible' available online that has lots of
excellent info in it. If you are not completely confident in your DIY
abilities, this is a project best left to the pros.