Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default 1.5" PVC Street Wye or 1.5" Street Union

On 13 Apr 2007 07:43:20 -0700, "
wrote:

I have two 1.5" PVC lines I need to connect with a Wye connector. To
ease any future servicing of the check valves in the system (for my
sump pump & battery backup pump) I would like to have a union just
upstream of the wye connector (rather than a hard joint).

To reduce the number of joints I have I would like to connect a
standard union to a street wye OR a street union ( if it exists) to a
standard wye.

My problem is, I can't find any place that has street unions online.
Do they even exist?

Also, is there any issue with connecting a standard union directly to
a street wye (or vice-versa)? Does there need to be a length of
straight pipe between the union and the wye?

Or should I just use a street wye with a rubber coupler?

Thanks,
Kevin

I've never seen a street union. They might exist...
You don't need a piece between union and wye if you have a street wye.

But I'd use a rubber coupler, or a rubber wye. It makes it easier to
get everything lined up if the pump isn't exactly in the right spot.

But then I also wouldn't worry about an extra joint or two. A
properly solvent welded joint is pretty darn close to a solid piece
of pipe.

HTH,

Paul