Posted to alt.home.repair
42n8_1 42n8_1 is offline

Default Driveway replacement

Go with 4" and fiber and spend a few extra bucks for the 4000 mix. The 4000
mix will make the top last longer and make it easier for the finishers to
finish also. That should be more than enough. Tell the contractor that when
they pour the driveway that you don't want more than a 5-51/2" slump. Slump
is more or less how much water is in the concrete or how wet the concrete
is. You could even tell the concrete truck driver when he arrives that if
the mix is more than a 5 1/2" slump that you are going to send it back .If
you have really bad soil (clay) you could put 1/2" rebar around the
perimeter. Wire mesh works very well when it is not sitting in the ground
and if you decide to go with wire instead of fiber ,which you could ,make
sure when the contractor pours the concrete that the wire is not laying on
the ground.
peace '
Harry

"MTW" wrote in message
I need to have our concrete driveway replaced , and I'm clueless! One guy
says 4" of concrete with fiber (?) mixed and steel mesh. Another guy says
4
" and fiber mesh ("that's what we're doin' these days"). One of the few
articles on the web says go with 5" and steel. We're in N. Florida, so
freezing's not a problem. What's a standard for compressive strength?
I've
seen - 3300-4000 advertised. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!