Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Improving a lawn

On Apr 13, 2:42 pm, "Kewless" wrote:
On 13-Apr-2007, "dean" wrote:

Is it possible to just throw a bunch of grass seed onto an existing
lawn, one that is not worth starting again from scratch, but that
could use thickening up?

Would I have to throw some soil down on top? I need to be able to
continue cutting it every week. I have around 1/2 acre to do.

A lawn will recover (and grow thick and lush) if it's allowed to
recover! One of THE most common mistakes in caring for a lawn
is that folks tend to set their mowers way, WAAAY too low. Now,
I'm not saying this is what you're doing, Dean. But if by chance
you are... Please, stop now and give your lawn a break, will ya?
; )

A lawn filling in on it's own is true to some extent. But a lot
depends on what kind of grass
he has. If it's bluegrass, it can spread. If it's a clump type
grass, like fescue,
it won't fill in larger bare spots.

I fertiize once a year, rarely seed, and never water. And yet I
consistently have one of the greenest lawns in the neighborhood.
Why? Because I refuse to cut too short and damage my lawn's
root system. It makes a world of difference.