Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Rotozip: goodgawd...

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"Proctologically Violated©®"
writes:

No way you could re-tile a g-d bathroom with it, or peel up a kitchen
floor's worth of linoleum, or usefully sand anything but the edge of a
2x4.
iirc, the mis-infomercial spent mebbe 5%, if that, on valid ****rock
applications.

Your problem is that you watch infomercials. If you didn't watch them
(and don't tell me that you didn't know at the time that they were lying
to you!) you wouldn't have unreasonable expectations of what products
can do.

I don't just watch them....
I STUDY them and take notes. No foolin...

And no, there are unreasonable expectations.
I just hate lying em effers, is all.

Perhaps "hustle" is a better word than "junk".
Like the drill doctor, where they claim a 1/2" bit costs $20, or a
fractional drill set $100, when decent 115 pc drill sets can be had for
$29.

It depends on what quality of drill bits you buy, doesn't it? If you
buy your bits at $29/set, then it doesn't make sense to spend $100 on a
Drill Doctor - but surely you could figure that out for yourself. On
the other hand, if you regularly buy expensive drill bits, it might be
worthwhile.

Yeah, but mebbe YOU figgered out that the infomercials are in fact directed
at people who are precisely NOT paying $100 for 29 drills. Not too many
home-moaners req. parabolic cobalt/carbide.
Altho I'm sure the informercial is being produced to convince them that they
DO need parabolic carbide, w/ a coolant hole.

Also, there's the time aspect. If I dull or damage a drill, it takes
far less time to resharpen it in an in-house DD than it does to drive to
the nearest store where I can buy a new drill. That's worth something.

I'll bet I can sharpen a drill by hand far more quickly than you can find,
plug in, set up yer DD.
And bleeve me, ahm no 'spert.
Mebbe not perfectly symmetrically, but more than adequately.
It takes very little change in drill geometry to make it dull. Therefore,
it often takes but a touch to make is sharp again.
Not to mention being able to put different angles/tips on the drill, as
req'd.

Here's the deal:
In previous threads, the consensus was, among experienced machinists, is
that for critical work *neither* hand sharpening nor DD are as accurate as a
new drill.
But, *home-moaners* will NEVER require that level of accuracy.
So, the DD fills a kind of void that, well, doesn't really need to be
filled.

Oh, oh, except that void CREATED by hustling a Drill Doctor instead of
TEACHING people a simple shop technique.

Now, I'm sure there are some scenarios where a DD is in fact useful.
But that's not the point.
The point is, The Hustle.
AND, the ultimate disservice done when *education* is denied, in favor of,
well, The Hustle.

Or the instant sharpening of a carbide masonry bit--give me a break. You
couldn't sharpen a masonry bit that fast even on a green wheel on a 8"
pedestal grinder.

Um, have you tried it? I have. The diamond wheel in the DD removed
carbide from the bit astonishingly fast, given the light pressure and
momentary contact that I used. A green wheel is silicon carbide, which
is nowhere close to diamond in hardness. (And I have used a green wheel
to sharpen carbide lathe tools).

I stand corrected.
I'll have to fire up my Baldor w/ diamond wheels (sitting there for a year
now), see how it does on masonry bits.

A pedagogic note:
God Forbid that the Pubic be TAUGHT how to sharpen drill bits by hand.
Not saying the DD is bad or junk--it may or may not be--proly is--but it
is
F'SURE a hustle.

You mean that the infomercials are a hustle. Don't watch them. Feel
better now? Actually just turn off the TV entirely, you'll feel better
yet.

You actually have a good point here.
I feel like a heroin addict shooting up *very* bad heroin.

My own impression of the DD is that it provides a pretty decent
sharpening job with minimal skill. The 180 grit wheel is somewhat
coarse compared to whatever does the final grinding on new bits. I
could *probably* do better with lots of practice, but the DD means I
don't need to spend that time practicing just to make a dull bit usable
again.

Or the ""7,000 lb truck" running over an Oreck. Please.....

Sleight-of-hand is *necessarily* employed by junk vendors, vending largely
junk.

So change the channel already!

A very important point you raise.
Changing the channel is not a real solution, when so many others are
unwittingly addicted/conned.
Simply changing the channel, without attempting to do something about it is,
in principle, irresponsible.
But from a practical pov, probably little other option.

But simply "changing the channel" is what is allowing Congress to rape every
man, woman, and child in this country.
And sit is Session to chortle about it.

Your earlier "advice" was actually better: throw out the TV.

Ergo, see my sig.

--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Dave