Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default How difficult to instal a lawn watering system?

On Apr 13, 1:46 am, "dean" wrote:
I have one area of around 100' x 100' that I'd like to start watering
automatically. How hard is it to put n those little popup mist
sprayers? Or is it a pro job? Do those things have pumps or work off
regular pressure? (BTW I have a well system, if that makes a
difference).

Depending on your experience and patience, it is doable. There a alot
of DIY books on the subject. The designs I have seen work off regular
pressure. I have also heard of systems that use a cistern and pump.
The cistern can be filled with either rain water or house water. A
cistern would take a lot of the work off of the well pump and tank.

You can do your own trenching but be aware that there is more than one
style of trencher. A large trencher in your yard can make a big
mess. You don't really need a big trench, just a continuous slit in
the ground to accept the pipe.

The pros may have some guys who will dig by hand a slit style trench
which disturbs the existing sod very little. A tool called a
vibratory plow also does this job. You should be able to rent a
machine that makes these low impact trenches. Look for a brand:
Ditch Witch. They can be rented where I live.

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Product/ProductView/103