Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default The Bumble Bee Syndrome

Charlie b, there you go again, provoking us into thinking or in my case,
trying to. Crisscrossing your interesting threads, I wonder if there
is a sort of continuum with machining and woodturning at opposite ends
of the spectrum with no line drawn in the sand!. The farther toward the
woodturning end the larger the bumble bee swarm. The swarming (syndrome)
falling off as the increased precision, accuracy and need for assisted
tool control demanded in machining increases. This regardless of the
material being machined or the machinery being used. ie. hard wood or
plastic can be machined and soft copper or aluminum can be hand turned.

I imagine that conventional wisdom would frown on driving spindles with
a spur center without tail support. I sometimes use my fingers or hand
as a temporary tail center or as a steady rest without tail support. So
far I haven't needed a hand surgeon and a bumble bee hasn't stung me
yet. This technique works for me, but I'm only answering your query.
I'm sure not suggesting it for anyone else.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter