Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Waller Bill Waller is offline

Default Delta 36-717 vs Grizzly 1023SL

On 13 Apr 2007 06:27:22 -0700, "Matt" wrote:

What did we ever do without the internet? I am sitting here in Mi and
I got info from Iowa-Morris and Steve. Sorry, i just thought that was
cool......

OK, freight delivered to my house. I am assuming that all the parts
are on the pallet and wrapped up. Will the components get broken down
on the truck and given to me or will they offload the palet in my
driveway/street? Thats how they deliver two truckloads of deck wood,
by dropping it in the street.

What about the 1023SL? Who has one and what do you think?

Matt,
I have a 1023Z (3HP version of the 1023ZX) and really like it.

The delivery was a little tricky for me. The saw was part of a larger tool
order from Grizzly. The carrier sent out a 45' trailer. The driver was not
comfortable backing the rig up my driveway...about 1500' and up hill.

We took my van down to the street and used a pair of 7' ramps to slide the
tools from the trailer into the van. Took the van back up the drive and used
the ramps to slide the tools into the garage. The second move was my
responsibility. Everything except the saw body was in the house by the time my
wife got home that evening.

I unpacked the cabinet and set it up on a very heavy furniture dolly to roll it
from the garage to the basement (no stairs).

I was able to set the saw up (attach the wings, the rails and set the fence)
without any help. I was even able to set it on the mobile base without any
help. That took a little planning, but it is doable.

As for the saw (1023s are pretty much the same), it was a very good purchase. I
did not have to make any adjustments to the alignment. Mine came with the G4723
Shop Fox Fence. It is heavy and tough.

The only accessory that I have had to buy directly from Grizzly was a couple of
Zero Clearance Inserts.

The only problems I have had was that I have stalled the saw twice: once while
ripping a warped and twisted 2x6 with a dull blade, and once while ripping an
8' piece of 3/4" oak plywood with a cheap HSS plywood blade. Changing the
blades to sharp carbide blades in both cases took care of the problem. Some day
I will learn throw those junk blades away. :-)

The saw is set up for 220VAC. I do a lot of dado work using a Freud 8" Dado
set. Even deep Dados don't bog down.
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA