Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Default Pet Friendly Rat Poison

On Apr 12, 5:49 pm, wrote:
On 12 Apr, 10:59, "Kev" wrote:

I wonder if anybody know anything about rat poison. I have an overseas
development and they get forest rats coming out of the neighbouring
forest and chewing everything in the bungalows and they put down
poison to kill the rats.
Unfortunately the cat eat a dead or dieing rat and died.
Are there any poisons that become inactive once digested by the host.
I am not sure whether cage traps would be available in the country
concerned since they are not so animal friendly and would just put
down poison and to hell with it.
I could take some out from the UK but I would need quite a few.
I can't take the risk of getting another cat so want to find a safer
alternative.

Kevin

I dont know of any safe poison, I think the solution is trapment
rather than poison. Breakback traps kill quickly, a lot faster than
poison. They can be placed inside boxes with small entry holes to keep
bigger animals out.

Rentokil use poison, so I'm not sure if they'd be any use.

The best option though is to locate and block all entry holes.
Anything pencil size or bigger can allow rodents in.

Antidotes are only given once you know the animal's ill and have
worked out why, so are far from a safe solution.

NT

I posted on a site in the country concerned and I have found that
humane traps are available, although the rat may not be humanely
treated. At least I wont need to put poison down now.

Kevin