Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default rotted sill...how to replace? More options?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I really can't remove the just rennovated concrete steps over the
rotted sill and I have no idea how to "jack it up and replace it"
so........any more options?

If I use concrete, what kind shall I use, small or no aggregate?

Thanks for any help.....

Did the new steps solve the frost heave and/or bad flashing problem that
caused the sill to rot out? Shame on whoever replaced the steps for not
taking a few diagnostic pokes with a screwdriver while the area was open.
Even if they left the rotted sill, hope they flashed or sealed the step to
house joint properly, and sloped the steps properly, or the problem will
recur.

Replacement will have to be from the basement. Are the joists parallel or
ninety degrees to the rotted sill? Like the others said, you slightly jack
the joists close to the spot, sawzall out the bad section, chisel it out as
best you can, and stuff a new section in. The joists should all be above the
level of the sill plate. Or are you actually talking about the band joist
(the 'end cap' over the other joists), that would commonly be behind a front
door sill? If so, you may be SOL without demo and replacement of the front
steps. If you don't have the needed tools or skill set, any of the
foundation repair or house leveling companies in the yellow pages will know
what to do.

aem sends....