Posted to rec.knives,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default __measure__ sharpness ?

According to :

[ ... ]

The OP will be interested to know that a very good optical (as in
laser) beam dump comprises a stack of brand new de-oiled single edge
razor blades bolted together with edges parallel. The edges do not
reflect and any light that falls between them bounces down into the
narrowing gaps and can't get back out.

The question which I have is how do you get them clamped
together close enough? The single-edge have the folded piece of steel
along the back edge.

Double-edge don't have that extra thickness to deal with, and
probably those skinny injector blades would do as well.

Do they still make those injector blades? I haven't shaved
since about 1978 or so, and while I use single-edged blades for other
purposes, I haven't kept track of the competition in blades since I
shaved. (And when I did, I either used double-edged, or a Rolls Razor,
which was a short length of blade from something like a folding
cutthroat razor mounted in a case which would hone and strop it for you
prior to your mounting it in the handle.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |