Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default liquid dish detergent into your concrete or stucco

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:29:03 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

I find it hard to imagine that 6 to 10 cubic yards of concrete would be
affected by a couple of spoonfuls of sugar. Worse things can be found in the
aggregate, especially if animals have been using it lately.

But only diabetic animals excrete much sugar.

Just kidding. I have no idea if Roger's story is possible or not.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
I have never heard of this but I would be cautious of this kind of
experiment. I recall where a bridge had to me torn down when some one
spilled their coffee into a mixer truck the sugar caused an adverse
reaction
that caused a failure of the concrete.

Seems to me that if simple dish soap was a good idea then it would be
something that the cement companies would advocate.

--
Roger Shoaf

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I was told by a friend that you should always put a small amount of
liquid dish detergent into your concrete or stucco mix to make it more
workable with less water.

a) Does it actually make the mixture more workable?
b) Does it decrease the strength or increase the strength due to the
need for less water?
c) How much should you put in?
d) Anything else I should know? Perhaps it is against city code
because it isn't an "approved admixture", etc?

Just hoping for some verification or denial.

Thanks!

PS: I understand that you can purchase superplasticisers but that is
beyond the scope of many small projects such as rebuilding steps,
stuccoing a framed in porch, etc.