Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default GFCI breakers for Al wiring

TKM wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

After searching high and low I'm coming to the conclusion that an
Aluminum compatible GFCI outlet does not exist.

So I want to install GFCI breakers on the associated circuits as an
alternative to fishing new wire.

How do I know if a GFCI breaker can be used on a circuit that is wired
aluminum?

Even with the GFCI outlets, I'd install AFCIs (arc fault current
interrupters) at the circuit breaker panel. They're required by the NEC now
for bedroom outlets in new homes and arc faults are one of the failure modes
for aluminum wiring as the connections go bad.
See: http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/afcifac8.pdf

You can also get combined GFCI and AFCI circuit breakers. Then you don't
need to worry about the AL connections at the outlet.

TKM

For which panels are those available? I've been told that the Siemens
breakers are both GFCI/AFCI and believe that to be the case (based on
personal experience - I posted before about a "ground fault" through a
USB cable causing my AFCI breaker to trip) but a) I can't find
documentation of same and b) I was also told that the GF protection was
at an "equipment protection" level not a "personnel protection" level (I
believe 30 mA vs 5 mA, but I'm going off memory here) therefore it
wouldn't meet the intent of the Code.

I do agree, however, that AFCI protection does not seem to be an
entirely bad idea with Al wiring. FWIW I've had the AFCI in for several
months now and have experienced no nuisance trips, only the trips caused
by the USB issue mentioned above.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.