Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] runderwo@mail.win.org is offline

Default GFCI breakers for Al wiring

On Apr 12, 3:37 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Kristen Caldwell wrote:
How do I know if a GFCI breaker can be used on a circuit that is wired
aluminum?

GFCI breakers will still protect you if you stick a fork in a toaster
even with aluminum wire.

The issue is not the breaker itself, but the connection with the
aluminum wire. When using aluminum wire you need to ensure that all
connected devices are rated for use with aluminum.

This can be expensive. For instance, an aluminum-rated toggle switch
costs about four times as much as one rated for copper only.

Chris

Yeah, and that's the problem - I haven't yet found a Cu/Al GFCI outlet
for *any* price. Which is why I was thinking it might be better to
just do it at the breaker box. More inconvenient if you trip it, and
yeah, it might be hard to physically stuff one in the box too.

Or I could call an electrician and have them crimp-pigtail just the
offending receptacles and use a regular GFCI outlet on those.