Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bridge rectifier replacement

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message
news:h4uTh.11833$Uf7.4392@edtnps89...

wrote in message
ups.com...

Does the circuit basically require a 12.0A 200V device?

Possibly 400V 6A instead.

Yeah, I was thinking that too, but couldn't quite get my head around it. I'm
not sure how they rate bridges. When it's being used normally, two diodes
are in conduction at any one time, in what amounts to a series circuit, so
the quoted current rating must only be the rating of any one diode. However,
as there are two diodes series'd into the circuit, the voltage rating should
be twice that of any one diode, so when a bridge is quoted at 200v, is each
individual diode 100v ? That would make the arrangement that's being
enquired about, still 200v, but at twice the current, as all four diodes
will be in conduction. Either way, should be easy enough to pick up either a
direct replacement bridge, or 200v 3A diodes, which should be plenty enough.

Arfa