Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default What happens if your generator is too small?

"dnoyeB" wrote in
:

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:25:56 +0000, Toller wrote:

Lets say I have a Yamaha EF1000 that can put out 9a max. (Which I
don't) And lets say my refrigerator draws 13a to start, and 1.5a to
run. (Which it does)
What will happen if I try to start the fridge off the genny?

I am guessing the generator will simply stall, with no harm to
either. Is that right?

Now for the really foolish question... Any way to start the fridge
off the undersized generator?

Historically, refridgerator motors do not play well with brown outs.
When you draw more amperage than the source is able to provide, you
get a brown out. The voltage will simply start lowering. Many
appliances will not function. Some will recieve damage.

For damage to occur,the "brownout" has to last for some time,while the V
drop for a motor startup will only last for a brief time.Probably less than
a minute.
Motors are pretty durable.

electronics,OTOH....

So,if your fridge has microprocessor controls,then there could be a
problem.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik