Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sofie Sofie is offline

Default Bridge rectifier replacement

Lenny:
How is the bridge wired into the circuit? ..... as a half wave rectifier?
.... or ??
Might I suggest that hooking up diodes in parallel without low ohm
(equalizing) series resistors is not a good practice.... in fact, it is not
a good practice to hook up diodes in parallel even with series resistors.
Also if diodes are hooked up in series to increase voltage rating... fairly
high ohm parallel equalizing resistors should be used.
All of this is needed because no two semiconductor junctions are the same
and one or the other diode will hog the current or voltage. Most good
designs AVOID these kind of hook ups altogether and go with a single diode
device.
You should look at the circuit and determine what the rough current draw is
and what voltage it should handle...... if the circuit current permits a
single 6 amp "barrel" diode may suffice or a heat sinkable diode in a To-220
or Stud-mount case with a higher current rating could be used.
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - - - - - -

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to replace a KBPC602 bridge rectifier. It is rated 200VRMS at
6.0 A. It is wired into the circuit using only the + and - terminals.
The AC connections are not used. If I were to build a bridge out of
four 6.0 amp 100V diodes, would I be able to directly replace this
device? Does the circuit basically require a 12.0A 200V device?
Conversely if I were to place four 3.0 amp 200V diodes in parallel
would that arrangement work also? Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics.