Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Where to scavenge mu-metal?

John Larkin wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:08:23 GMT, SparkyGuy
wrote:

Why?

My bench power supply's transformer is coupling hum into my breadboard. Yes,
I can move my circuit farther away, but I'd rather solve the problem (short
of replacing an otherwise good supply) than the symptom.

It's a 70's vintage lam transformer with half a dozen secondary windings. I'd
prefer a toroid, but it will be cheaper to simply shield this one.

Mu-metal probably won't help. A copper shorting strap around the
transformer would. You can make that out of sheet copper, or even bare
wire and a lot of solder.

Or, um, move it farther away.

Flashing material can be obtained at almost every major hardware store.
But not the Al stuff, as that won't solder...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com