Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Garage siding - exposed nails?

On 12 Apr 2007 00:39:16 -0700, wrote:

On Apr 11, 10:37 pm, "Nate" wrote:
Hello,

I recently had a 26' x 26' standalone garage built, and am concerned
by how the siding was hung.

There are about 70-80 nails throughout the garage, poking through the
walls about 1 inch. The nails are sometimes directly between the
studs. There are instances of these nails from about 1 foot above the
floor all the way up to the ceiling joists.

Is this a common practice? I'm concerned about someone injuring
themselves, and I haven't seen this in any other garage I've been in.

Is there a building code that I can reference? If this is a common/
o.k. thing to do, what's the best way to cover these nails? I'm not
too eager to put drywall up, however.

Thanks,
--Nate

Are these exposed on the inside of the building? If so, it could be
"miss-fires" from when they mounted the siding with a pneumatic
nailer. If they run close to the stud, the operator just missed. If
not, they may have bee looking for the stud.
Either way, I suggest you bend them down. Be careful to not leave it
where you might fall against it. If you pound the back out you will
have to pull them from the outside and leave a hole.
Also,lnstead of drywall, you might put up wafer-board. It works fine
and takes abuse.

I wouldn't bend them, that will damage the siding.
Cut them off as close to flush as you can with
an end cutter.