Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bigjim@backpacker.com is offline

Default Question about 'R' value for attic insulation.

R-49 is not practical in an attic that will be finished. R 30 seems
to be standard in most places. If you can ft more and want to pay
thats on youbut 30 will suit most people fine especially when combined
with a radiant barrier like reflectix.

On Apr 7, 7:59 pm, Just Joshin wrote:
On 6 Apr 2007 14:08:31 -0700, "

wrote:
I'm in Fort Worth, TX and when I look at an online chart for the 'R'
value of insulation I would need for my attic, it tells me 49. (about
14" of cellulose. I think)

At the local DIY store they tell me that this is really overkill and
that about 30 will do about all I need.

Since we will be doing the 'blowing in' ourselves, I would appreciate
it if someone who has done this themselves, in this area, would care
to give their opinion of what 'R' value I will need.

Thanks.

Lewis.

*****

I looked up Pa codes, and found something weird. Eventhough R49 was
in the IRC, Pa said 30 was ok. I thought about it this way further,
money into insulation or money into the utilitie company's pockets.
Needless to say I invested in my home.

tom @www.WorkAtHomePlans.com- Hide quoted text -