Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Where to scavenge mu-metal?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article .net,
SparkyGuy writes:
Is this stuff prolific in old CRT monitors, or TVs? Need about a
square foot
or so...

Wrapped around old oscilloscope tubes.
I don't think old TVs ever merited its use.

Back in the days of 90 degree delta-gun shadowmask tubes, an external
magnetic shield most certainly was used around the bowl. The
degaussing coils were usually fixed to it, and it mounted using the
same four corner bolts as fixed the tube to the cabinet front. Many
were my sliced fingers, from the razor-sharp edges of these shields,
when I was an apprentice engaged in replacing these tubes ...

Arfa

Ah,yes,I remember TEK 650 series monitors having a metal CRT shield.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik