Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Dell SX260 Micro PC dead.

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 01:18:32 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

I'm hoping someone might point me to a common fault (with the PSU or
PC) and so I could fix it but failing that I'll see if I can find a
suitable std motherboard / case / psu and transfer all the good bits
over (after testing them elsewhere of course).

I'd start by verifying the output of the external PSU. If it has any
sort of remote-on, it's nothing more than bridging the correct two pins
in the cable.

Ah, I thought that might be the case but wasn't *sure* so didn't want
to make matters worse. There are 4 big holes in the end of the DC lead
and 2 smaller ones. The graphic on the PSU itself suggests the two
smaller holes are the remote pair and the others are 2 x 0V and 2 x
12V. So I guess I can just stick the DMM in there (on 20V DC range)
and measure the off load condition at least. When it's powering the
SX270N (my mistake in saying it was a 260 but I believe they are very
similar) there is an amber LED on the Mobo if that means anything?

If that's bad then it's just standard SMPS repair.

Oh ok, I assumed the PSU brick was sealed but I guess any 'repair'
would be more expensive than a straight replacement (from eBay etc)?

All the best ..

T i m