Posted to comp.dcom.cabling,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.home.repair,alt.cable-tv,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
catv tech catv tech is offline

Default RG-6 QS, top brands?

On Apr 5, 12:53 pm, "szilagyic" wrote:
Hello,

I am just trying to get an updated list of the top brands of RG-6 quad
shield coax cable. I have seen posts from a few years back mentioning
Belden, Carol, and Commscope, but I just wanted to get an updated
list. I have seen Carol and Zenith brands at local stores recently,
are these any good? Mainly going to use this cable for running feeds
from HDTV & analog TV antennas in the walls of a house.

Thank you very much for all feedback,
--
Chris

I'm almost certain that I'm out of my league (having read some of the
previous replies), but for some reason feel bound to input my 2 cents
worth (unsure of equivalent value in the mother country United
Kingdom).

1). periodicity, as I understand it, is more likely to "suck out" ONE
particular channel frequency, not several. On the surface, it sounds
more like ingress, or some kind of beat.

2). say what you will about crimp and screw on connectors, but the
fact is that I make a living as a "noise / leakage" technician, and
replace a LOT of them having tracked them down with a spectrum
analyzer. Lot's of home builders and home owners use them because
they're less expensive, but not installed correctly. Perhaps a trained
and experienced installer can put them on properly, but those are few
and far between ........ screw on connectors especially SUCK in my
humble opinion.

3). I'm wondering about perhaps a "store bought" / inferior brand of
splitter that might also have been replaced along with the connectors,
or perhaps a cross-threaded, corroded (or otherwise inferior)
connection, that might be creating the problem. Though unlikely, might
be bad cable (even if it IS new "brand name" wire .... stranger things
have happened).

Subtle problem, more info is needed. Ideally, a good tech with the
proper equipment could look at it and track down the problem. In here,
it's all speculation and educated guesses.

I only have 30 + yrs experience in the cable industry, so I'm
apparently the FNG in this thread.

Good luck.